Scarlet is the second book in The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer. This book features Scarlet (loosely based on Little Red Riding Hood), and takes place in France. It was released on February 5, 2013.
Cinder, the cyborg mechanic, returns in the second thrilling installment of the bestselling Lunar Chronicles. She's trying to break out of prison—even though if she succeeds, she'll be the Commonwealth's most wanted fugitive.
Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit's grandmother is missing. It turns out there are many things Scarlet doesn't know about her grandmother or the grave danger she has lived in her whole life. When Scarlet encounters Wolf, a street fighter who may have information as to her grandmother's whereabouts, she is loath to trust this stranger but is inexplicably drawn to him, and he to her. As Scarlet and Wolf unravel one mystery, they encounter another when they meet Cinder. Now, all of them must stay one step ahead of the vicious Lunar Queen Levana, who will do anything for the handsome Prince Kai to become her husband, her king, her prisoner.
Plot Summary: Edit
Scarlet Benoit is a farmer in the city of Rieux, France, where she makes produce deliveries at a tavern. The book begins with Scarlet receiving a comm; after the Toulous police failed to find her missing grandmother after two weeks straight, the case was closed, which angers Scarlet greatly.
Scarlet makes delivery and intervenes in an argument about Cinder on the news in New Beijing.
|This article is a stub.|
|This page needs to be expanded in order to include more relevant information.|
- Scarlet Benoit
- Wolf/Ze'ev Kesley
- Michelle Benoit
- Carswell Thorne
- Linh Cinder/Princess Selene
- Kai/Emperor Kaito
- Queen Levana
An excerpt from the book can be found here: Scarlet. Scarlet is the second book in "The Lunar Chronicles". I have read many reviews on this book. It is an excellent book, I would recommend it to anyone who likes space, sci-fi, or any mystery novel.
Scarlet is translated and published in the following countries:
- Scarlet, according to Marissa Meyer, changed a lot during revisions. In the first draft, rather than being kidnapped, Scarlet’s grandmother was being kept as an indentured servant in America, and Scarlet and Wolf had to get money to buy her freedom (which he then won in a fight). In addition, Wolf had amnesia. Scarlet’s father didn't make an appearance until the third or fourth draft of the book.
Locations and landmarks from S.E. remaining in T.E.Edit
- From the conversation between Carswell Thorne, Linh Cinder and Iko, it is revealed that Los Angeles and Fiji both either have remained intact or have not undergone name-changes.
- Los Angeles is later set as the main stage of Carswell's Guide to Being Lucky, though in-universe chronologically the events in the story take place first.
- From Scarlet Benoit's recollection, it is revealed that the Musée du Louvre still exists, though a lot of the artworks have been destroyed.
- From the global news feed, Emperor Kai was listening to, it is revealed that cities including Tokyo, Manila, Mumbai, New York, Mexico City, Cairo, London, Moscow, Istanbul and Sydney either have remained intact or have not undergone name-changes.
|Works in the The Lunar Chronicles series|